Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Simpson leads Royal volleyball team loaded with talent


From today's Ventura County Star:
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Photo by Chuck Kirman


Whether its an affection for beach volleyball, an affinity for clutch plays or even her sunny disposition, Maddie Simpson can take the heat.
For the Royal High senior setter, that’s one key reason why she ranks among the region’s top players.
The pressure to excel not only manifests itself in Royal’s matches, but in Highlanders practices as well.
Since Royal coach Heidi Buonauro was herself once a star setter in the program, she has made it a mission to fine-tune Simpson’s development.
Simpson appreciates any and all criticism, er, attention.
“I like it,” she says with a characteristic smile. “If I get yelled at, so much the better. It helps me to focus and keep improving. I know coach only wants me to become a better player.”
Buonauro said any constructive criticism has been geared toward Simpson achieving her potential.
“Actually, I’ve been easier on my setters than any Ferguson,” said Buonauro, whose father Bob, mother Sandy and brother Travis have all been esteemed head coaches in the Royal boys’ and girls’ volleyball programs. Bob currently assists Heidi on the girls’ team.
“But one of the things I do like to do is put pressure on my setter in practice. If she can handle those situations well, I know she can handle whatever comes up in a match.”
Truth is, Simpson doesn’t figure to warrant much criticism this season.
Now a sage and heady senior, the 6-foot-1 setter oversees a savvy, veteran team that earns the nod as the Marmonte League favorite.
Seven seniors, all with starting experience, form the core of a team with great expectations. Most have played together since the eighth grade.
“We’re very excited about our chances this season,” said Simpson. “We feel like we’ve grown up together, and learned how to win in this league. We’re ready to take the next step.”
The Highlanders placed third in league two seasons ago, and were second last year. If Royal is to win the league championship and improve on last year’s playoff performance, when it reached the second round in Division I, Simpson will play a starring role.
As a junior, she earned first-team all-league honors by racking up 754 assists and demonstrating her versatility with 46 kills, 35 blocks and 125 service points.
This season, Simpson is off to a rousing start after contributing 49 assists in Royal’s 23-25, 25-12, 25-19, 27-25 victory over Oak Park.
Simpson’s rise as a volleyball talent came with a painful decision.
A promising basketball player, Simpson was the starting center for the Highlanders as a sophomore. Following her 10th-grade season, she made the decision to focus entirely on volleyball.
“It was very difficult,” she said. “I really enjoyed basketball, and still watch all their games. I miss it a lot. But I knew if I wanted to reach my potential in volleyball, I had to focus 100 percent on the sport. Now I play volleyball all year round, and it’s made a big difference for me.”
During club season, Simpson plays for highly regarded Sports Shack, which has hastened her development. Last summer, Sports Shack won the silver medal at the Junior Olympics in Miami, Fla.
“It’s been a great experience, especially playing with so many great players, Simpson said. “It’s definitely enabled me to improve at all facets of the game.”
Along with her physical gifts, Simpson has matured into an accomplished team leader. She clearly has the respect of her teammates.
“I’m not a yeller, but if something goes wrong I’m not afraid to point it out and say it,” Simpson said. “The good news is that my teammates all listen to me. They know if I’m saying something, it’s for a good reason.”
While focused on the present, Simpson also has an eye on her future. She’d love to secure a scholarship to play volleyball in college, and might rely on her versatility.
Simpson has long enjoyed playing beach volleyball, and has involved many of her teammates in the sport.
In fact, Buanaro took the Highlanders to Manhattan Beach for a session of beach volleyball during training camp.
“I know college teams are starting to play beach volleyball, so maybe I could end up doing that in college,” said Simpson. “It’s a hard sport to play, and it’s definitely has helped my training for indoor volleyball. I do loving playing both.”

No comments:

Post a Comment